Acknowledgement of Defence
Use of the Defence Logo
Permission to use Defence logo for promotional purposes must be granted by Defence.
For any logo file requests and questions regarding the use of the Defence logo or the Australian Government Crest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Defence logo files can be requested in the following file types—PC or Macintosh formatted EPS, JPEG or TIFF files.
Please provide sufficient details of the associated NISDRG-funded projects, and the materials where the logo will be used.
You must also refer to the Australian Government Branding Design Guidelines, before you use the Defence logo, regarding placement, colour use and minimum size requirements.
Acceptable forms for acknowledgement of Defence funding
Defence Grant Agreements require that any Defence contribution to research and other activities be appropriately acknowledged.
The Administering Organisation must ensure (wherever possible) that Defence's contribution and support of the project is acknowledged in a prominent place and in an appropriate form when, at any time during or after completion of a project, the researcher or any other party publishes or produces material such as books, articles, newsletters or other literary or artistic works which relate to the Project. The acknowledgement should mention Defence as a funding body and where the Research Output is a publication, the relevant Project ID must be included.
Similar efforts should be made to acknowledge Defence funding support when participating in television and radio programs, and when interviewed by the print media. In publicising Defence’s funding support, researchers and other parties must ensure that the publication does not lead the audience to believe that any views or messages being conveyed are those held by the Australian Government or Defence (unless Defence has formally endorsed such views/messages).
Wherever possible, the Defence logo should be included with acknowledgements of Defence funding. Logo requests should be directed to email@example.com.
Researchers and/or institutions should use their discretion in adapting one of the examples of acceptable forms of acknowledgement of Defence funding listed below to suit the medium in which the research will be featured.
In general, wording to the following effect is recommended:
- "This research was funded (partially or fully) by the Australian Government through Defence."
- "Professor/Dr XXXX is the recipient of a Defence - National Intelligence and Security Discovery Research Grant (project number XXXX) funded by the Australian Government."
- "This research was conducted by the Defence - National Intelligence and Security Discovery Research Grant program for XXXX (project number XXXX) and funded by the Australian Government."
However, in cases where the material or publication contains a message or view which could possibly be interpreted as being that of the Defence, and which has not been officially endorsed by the Defence as such, the following form of attribution is required:
- "This research was supported (partially or fully) by the Australian Government through the Defence funded - National Intelligence and Security Discovery Research Grant program – (project XXXX). The views expressed herein are those of the authors and are not necessarily those of the Australian Government or Defence."
- "This research was conducted by the Defence funded - National Intelligence and Security Discovery Research Grant program for XXXX (project number XXXX). The views expressed herein are those of the authors and are not necessarily those of the Australian Government or Defence."